Wayne Jenkins task force sentenced, Wayne Jenkins, 37, pleaded guilty in January to robbery, racketeering and civil rights charges involving the planting of drugs on two men in 2010.

Jenkins, who was the ringleader in the GTTF corruption case, was sentenced to 25 years in federal prison, followed by three years of supervised release. The judge split the difference between the 20 years Jenkins asked for and the 30 years the government sought.

The judge refused a more lenient sentence, citing, in part, Jenkins’ role as a drug dealer with a badge.

“He’s admitted to … putting poison in our community when he should have been protecting the community … deterrence is important,” U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake said at sentencing.

“I am so sorry, your honor, so sorry to the citizens of Baltimore,” Jenkins said, crying in court at sentencing. Jenkins said of the GTTF crimes, “I know it’s my fault … I know I have to be punished.”

Jenkins was a leader of specialized units in the Police Department. His crimes of robbing drug dealers, stealing drugs and reselling them, and overtime fraud spanned at least seven years. He was the leader of the Gun Trace Task Force at the time when eight members of the unit were indicted.

Jenkins apologized to the family of Elbert Davis, the man who was killed in a 2010 car chase started by Jenkins and two other officers. It later came to light drugs were planted in the target car to justify a police chase that shouldn’t have happened.

“I wish I could take that day back. … I’m so sorry. I deserve to be punished,” Jenkins said.

Davis’ family members called Jenkins’ 25-year prison sentence just.

“Every day, it still hurts that my parents were taken from me in the fatal car crash, and my mother barely survived that crash, and seven years later, we found out that corrupt cops who swore to protect and serve were nothing more than criminals,” said Shirley Johnson, Davis’ daughter.

When asked whether she heard from Jenkins prior to sentencing, Johnson said no.

In his comments in court, Jenkins denied planting the drugs, but Davis’ daughter, Dolores Davis, said that at the scene of the crash, Jenkins more was more concerned about the drugs than her father’s injuries.

“The main thing he was doing was having a bag of drugs, running around, saying, ‘We got drugs on the guy. We got drugs.’ And my main thing was why weren’t you trying to get an ambulance or a helicopter there to take my parents to the hospital?” Delores Davis said. “He kept saying he was sorry, but my belief is ‘sorry’ is just words.”

Jenkins indicated that some other officer planted the drugs in the 2010 case, but he named no names. Jenkins is one of three officers involved in the traffic stop. A fourth was called to scene with drugs.

It was not immediately known where Jenkins will serve his federal prison sentence; it could be far from Maryland. An attorney for Jenkins said Jenkins was beat up recently in a local jail by a fellow inmate who knew he was a police officer.

Marcus Taylor and Daniel Hersl were convicted in February on federal charges of racketeering, robbery and overtime fraud.

Taylor, 30, was sentenced Thursday afternoon to 18 years in federal prison, followed by three years of supervised release. In lengthy comments to the judge, Taylor maintained his innocence and vowed to fight his conviction.

Hersl, 47, is scheduled to be sentenced on June 22.

Two more of the eight officers will be sentenced Friday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here